What is FIRST LEGO League Jr.?
It’s never too early to discover STEM. STEM stands for science, technology, engineering and math concepts. FIRST LEGO League Jr. is designed to introduce STEM concepts to kids ages 6 to 10 while exciting them through a brand they know and love − LEGO®.
Guided by adult coaches, teams (up to 6 members, grades K-4) explore a real-world scientific problem such as food safety, recycling, energy, etc. Then they create a Show Me poster that illustrates their journey of discovery and introduces their team. They also construct a motorized model of what they learned using LEGO elements. In the process, teams learn about teamwork, the wonders of science and technology, and the FIRST Core Values, which include respect, sharing, and critical thinking. At the close of each season, teams come together at Expos to strut their stuff, share ideas, celebrate, and have fun!
FIRST LEGO League Jr. by the Numbers
Proven, verifiable impact! See how immersion in FIRST Programs, even at an early age, positively impacts students throughout their education and even into their careers.
FIRST LEGO League Jr. teams get to:
- Explore challenges facing today's scientists
- Discover real-world math and science
- Design and build a challenge-related model using LEGO® Elements
- Create a Show Me Poster and practice presentation skills
- Develop teamwork skills
- Choose to participate in Expos and showcases
- Engage in team activities guided by the FIRST Core Values
The FIRST Core Values are the cornerstones of the program. They are among the fundamental elements that distinguish FIRST LEGO League Jr. from other programs of its kind. We ask that everyone associated with every team understand and honor these Core Values.
We express the FIRST philosophies of Gracious Professionalism and Coopertition through our Core Values:
- Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
- Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
- Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
- Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
- Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
- Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!
In 2004, FIRST Founder Dean Kamen and the LEGO Group’s Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen joined forces to create FIRST LEGO League Jr., another powerful program that engages children ages 6-10 in playful and meaningful learning while helping them discover the fun in science and technology.